Monday, March 21, 2011

Aka Tombo hat of the day


The Gael collection - Morag's Headdress

My eldest sister Morag got married a few years ago and while trying to plan her Scottish Celtic wedding we were constantly amazed and disheartened by the lack of simple, scottish products available in the wedding market. She didn't want crystals and diamonds, she didn't want a tiara or a veil and so we were at a loss. It may be too late for my sister but I made this with her understated modesty and strong but simple style in my thoughts.

This medieval style headdress is the first in my Gael collection. The wire is hand knotted by myself then a mustard gold obi himo (the cord wrapped around the center of the obi on a kimono) is sewn on to the wire and the wire covered in golden embroidery thread. The headpiece wraps around the back of your head and is secured at both sides with small brassy hair combs.

I have also just entered this into a competition being run by the milliners of etsy. Will let you know how I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment