Thursday, March 24, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor



Today, every news, fashion, celebrity magazine around the world is filling its pages with memories of Elizabeth Taylor. They talk about her films, Oscars, husbands, social activism and with a career that spanned 60 years and seven men there is a lot to write about. But to me that is not Elizabeth Taylor. The American film institute named Taylor seventh on its female legends list and to me that is Elizabeth Taylor. A legend. A mythical being that represents female strength and beauty. Just as the name Medusa summons images of the hag so terrifying it turns you to stone the name Elizabeth Taylor does the opposite, bringing to mind all that is beautiful, old skool Hollywood glamour and sophistication.
Dame Taylor was also a beacon of female wit some of my favorite comments being:

"If someone is dumb enough to give me a million dollars to make a picture, i'm certainly not dumb enough to turn it down."

"Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses."

"When the sun comes up I have morals again."

and when asked about her plethora of marriages her reply:
"What do you expect me to do? Sleep alone?"

On top of this she was a fashion icon and man could she wear a hat, once famously ordering 28 hats from Philip Treacy after seeing his models in a hotel lounge in London. So here I pay homage to a legend of film, fashion and millinery.
See you on the other side Ms Taylor.







Technically not a hat but she's still rocking it

No comments:

Post a Comment